Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

First week in NJ!! April 20, 2015

I'm in the States! It's a beautiful thing. I've been assigned to the North Newark area and I am in the Hood. We're on the 14th floor of our apartment and we have an awesome view of NYC, it's just right across the river! There are plenty of crazy people here, that's for sure, but also a lot of work to be done! For instance, we were walking to an appointment and one of God's children, who happened to be high as a kite, stopped us and wanted us to give him a book of Mormon and then was adamant that we take him to church the next day too. (this was on Saturday) So I took down his address to try to appease him and get outta there, but no, he kept rambling about something that I could not hear and eventually made us write down the time that we would be by to pick him up for church. Then, we were on our way to give a blessing Sunday morning and we saw him again! I don't think he recognized us, but he yelled at the bus that dropped us off for some  reason, we didn't stick around to find out. 
Despite the crazies there are plenty of people to be taught! Lots of people from all over the place, we've taught people from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Honduras, you name it. And there's a solid percentage of the people that speak spanish, even if I was an english missionary I'd probably be brushing up on my Espanol. Lots of people are pretty set on the religion they already have, they feel they don't need any more, but there's plenty of people that are really open as well! It can be kinda hard for me because I have a hard time understanding people, but I can bear testimony and whatnot, so that's good. Understanding will come with time. It's awesome to be out in the field! I'm stoked for everything! Especially the stories I'll have. Talk to you in a week!
-Elder Alan Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment