Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Monday, May 18, 2015

Little bit of Lightning

Had a pretty dang good week! Started out really good seeing lots of people and it was good and warm and humid so I was sweating like a daggum pig. After a week of heat though it started to sprinkle a little bit on Saturday and there ended up being a little thunder and lightning. We were walking around in the light rain trying to see people with not a whole lot of luck and we finished up trying the people we knew from an apartment building and as we were walking out this woman looked like she was struggling with a huge bag of laundry. We offered to help and she actually accepted! People usually don't accept any kind of service because when people offer help here they usually expect some sort of tip afterward, and who wants to spend money?! But this time we actually got to help someone and it turned out it was a couple with their little daughter and they had 4 of these huge bags and lived on the 5th floor, so after getting good and sweaty carrying some laundry up the stairs we talked to them about what we do and they found out they had actually talked to the missionaries before in the Dominican Republic! So instead of money for service we set up an appointment and will be seeing them this week! 
This week I kinda started realizing the joy that comes from missionary work, and I think that is in part due to my ability to speak Spanish getting better. I've been a lot better about just talking to people and trying to fill time when appointments fall through with actually meeting new people out in the street. It feels like the time is not wasted like it used to. Just being able to talk to people about life and get to know them better, that makes it worth it! I just need to get better about bringing it back around to talking about the gospel and making those connections in casual conversation. Despite the language getting better, I still have my mix ups, definitely called a guy on the street sister instead of brother, but you know, it's all good. They know I'm a gringo so I'm sure they don't think much of it. All in all things are going really well! I'm happy to be out here in spite of the humidity and I just hope we can find more people to teach. Keep me in your prayers, please! I need 'em. Love Yous! 
Elder Alan Jordan


The sun shining thru over NYC



No comments:

Post a Comment